The Coyote’s Dirge

Hi, friends. I’ve been off the radar for a bit and wanted to let you know why I’ve been absent (comments are closed on this post).

Shortly after Mother’s Day, my mother-in-law went on hospice. My husband and I (along with other family members) stayed at her bedside morning to night, before starting the pattern over again the next day. My sister-in-law never left her side, 24/7. Though my mother-in-law was not conscious, we talked to her, prayed over her, stroked her hair, made sure she was comfortable, and knew how very much she was loved. The days were emotional and long. For whatever reason, she just wasn’t ready to let go.

Last Sunday we came home and crashed into bed, intending to return again the next day. There is a coyote in my neighborhood who makes his presence known about once a month by howling. That Sunday was a full moon. Shortly after midnight, my husband and I were jarred awake by the longest and most mournful howl I’ve ever heard that coyote utter. He was so loud, I swear he had to be under our bedroom window. An hour later, my mother-in-law left this world for the next. I will forever associate that coyote’s dirge with her passing. We’ve been on an emotional rollercoaster for days, but feel at peace now, knowing she resides in Heaven. Funeral services are today.

At the same time all this was going on, I came down with a severe sinus infection. I probably delayed going to the doctor longer than I should have, but am now on three different medications and hope to be back to normal soon. I will likely be hit or miss the rest of the week in visiting blogs, but I do hope to hop online before the week is out.

My mother-in-law had an infectious smile and a kind spirit. In her prime, she loved cooking, trips to the beach, and bay fishing. Bingo and penny slots were things she enjoyed even into later life. Most of all, she loved time with family, and family was with her at the end. She was dearly loved and will be dearly missed. Heaven has gained a new angel.